en - Re: [sympa-users] Installation instructions are a mess

  • From: "Rynhart, Patrick" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Installation instructions are a mess
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 09:47:45 +1200

On 11/06/17 4:45 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
For what it's worth, I NEVER install Sympa (or anything particularly complex) from a package. Inevitably, the packaged version is out-of-date, and often mucked up. And the original documentation is generally better.

On our list server, perl, mysql, postfix, anti-spam & anti-virus, and sympa are all built from the source tarballs, using the old standby ./configure; make; make test; make install.

Particularly for Sympa (and anything perl), cpan does a much better job than native package managers. (I like apt a lot, but package maintainers, not so much).

Miles Fidelman

Absolutely, +1 for this approach. Do everything clean (i.e. from source) :-)

Thanks,

Patrick

(Systems Engineer, ITS Massey University)