en - Re: [sympa-users] Installation instructions are a mess

  • From: Ashley Jones <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Installation instructions are a mess
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 17:22:33 -0700

>> I guess what Stefan had in mind was that we should make a page here:
>>
>> https://github.com/sympa-community/
> Yes, and later move the result to sympa.org.

Ah hah! Yes, I see this makes sense. Still h

>> Isn't a good idea to start there because there are some details in
>> our installations that could be scrutinised a bit (e.g. postfix setup)

Yes - I welcome peer review.

>> Are you accustomed to use github?

I am!

>> If you are, I suggest that you upload
>> your two ubuntu installation instructions, and then I upload mine and
>> the french one.

Yup yup, makes sense.

>> Then, we could finish the installation guide. I guess that, eventually,
>> most of the instructions for debian and ubuntu may be identical.

Very likely! However, I'm only a centos and ubuntu kinda fellow, so I
don't know for sure. That said, I developed my instructions by creating
VMs at Digital Ocean (https://www.digitalocean.com/products/compute/),
installing and the destroying the VM to start over to make sure it
worked right from scratch. They offer Debian VMs, so I'd be happy to
test when the tie comes.

>> When we have finished, I can't imagine that it wouldn't be uploaded to
>> sympa.org some way or another. Probably, the package maintainers of
>> debian and ubuntu would be interested as well.

Yes, that'd be ideal. I still have some concern as there no
"documentation" project. GitHub works such that you have to make a fork
of a repository, make your changes and the submit a pull request back to
the parent repository. Should we just pick one of the semi-applicable
repositories there or maybe wait to hear back from Marc.

>> I will also find out and add how to setup https on sympa.
> That's fairly easy, I'm doing this for every instance.

Yes, I do as well. It's a best practice that I strongly recommend. For
my internal instructions based on a vanilla ubuntu install, I only had
to redirect traffic form port 80 to 443 as sympa loads on any port via
/etc/apache2/conf-available/sympa.conf which is added via the sympa apt
package.
> BTW: I was possible in the past to login to sympa.org and actually edit it,
> but this isn't the case any more. Hope Marc has an update for us ...

oh, that'd be nice! And yes, Marc hopefully has info on github as well.

cheers,
-adj