devel - Re: Wikia? Was: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: Wikia? Was: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:30:54 -0400 (EDT)

Colas Nahaboo <address@concealed> recently wrote, in part:

On the subject of documentation, I would suggest you look at
the option of making your documentation web-based.

To me, making the documentation available as hyper-linked web
pages is a given in terms of a requirement, and documentation
platform like DocBook would give that to you.

I was about to say "like DocBook and OOoWriter" but I'm
not so sure about that. I tried finding out about
creating HTML output from OpenOffice Writer but didn't
have much luck. It is pretty clear that OOoWriter does
natively output PDF, however. Can anybody who uses
OpenOffice Writer comment about HTML output from Writer
documents and it's quality? (M$ Word does HTML output,
but it is positively dreadful.)

The problem I see with a web centric approach is that, at
least from what I've seen so far, you can't generate really
good paginated printed documentation. Having precisely
controlled pagination is important if you're going to have a
printed version of the document with things like a table of
contents and an index. (But see below...)

An easy option would be to start the documentation project on
wikia http://www.wikia.com/ that would provide free hosting &
support for it, supported by the famous wikipedia engine &
community.

It is certainly a possible model for collaboration. But
would this mean that documentation would need to be created
and maintained using the text editor embedded in your web
browser? Web page text boxes always make me quickly long
for a real editor.

Moreover, the wikipedia community already know how to produce
printed & DVD versions of a wikipedia site, if needed.

I'd be curious about the quality of the printed version of a
Wiki. Of course one has to call into question if the goal
of having documentation designed to be printed on physical
pages is still an important requirement in today's world?

...BC

--
| Bill Costa | No good
| 1 Leavitt Lane Voice: | deed...
| CIS/Telecom -- 2nd Floor +1-603-862-3056 |
+---------------[ http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/ ]--+