devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:56:58 -0400 (EDT)

Serge recently wrote, in part...

Openoffice comes with a powerful spell checker...

Say no more! :-)

I have not started using OOoWriter yet, but I plan to give it
a try real-soon-now(tm). From what research I've done so far
it does look very promising. I'm particularly interested in
seeing how well the Stylist feature works. What I can gather
from what I've read so far, it would appear that OOoWriter
has a more powerful style and templating mechanism than M$
Word, which is good to hear given that Word's style mechanism
is almost worthless.

With a well thought out set of style components, I'm hoping
that creating a consistent, attractive, and easy to use
document with OOoWriter will be much easier. But
unfortunately I also haven't had much luck in finding any
technical document style sheet libraries. One way I can
think of bootstrapping a style would be to try and find a
well organized Open Source technical manual created with
OOoWriter and using that as a template. In any case, here
are a few links I found that look like they might prove
useful in general:

http://www.firstpr.com.au/book-design
http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/writer/masterdoc.htm
http://www.taming-openoffice-org.com/writer/xrefbetweendocs.htm
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7915
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7659
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/08/24/openofficewriter.html

I'll keep looking for resources in this area and let you know
if I find anything else of interest.

In any case, I'm in the throes of bringing up a new Sympa
installation that will be supporting 3 virtual domains right
out of the box. And then converting 600 ListProc lists to
the new system. So you might say I'm a bit busy right now.
But when the dust begins to settle, I would like to
contribute to the Sympa documentation effort. I have about
20 years of technical writing experience and in a former life
I was in charge of the University's computer training and
documentation department. See

http://www.unh.edu/cis/docs/vms-to-unix/Articles

for an old sample of my technical writing. I'm looking
forward to helping out in any way I can.

...BC

--
| Bill Costa | No good
| 1 Leavitt Lane Voice: | deed...
| CIS/Telecom -- 2nd Floor +1-603-862-3056 |
+---------------[ http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/ ]--+