devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:26:35 -0400 (EDT)

Patrick von der Hagen <address@concealed> recently
wrote (in part):

Currently I'm missing some kind of "Owners manual" (perhaps an
even more compressed "owners introduction") to give to my
listowners. Several parts of the current-sympa-documentation
certainly aren't relevant for my owners and would be
listmaster-only.

From my view a large percentage of the current manual really
isn't something that I'd want to hand to my typical list
owners. At this site at least we have have hundreds of
different list owners and I believe most would find the
standard Sympa manual overwhelming and confusing.

Writing two separate manuals certainly would not work (if you have it
twice, it will be different...),

I understand your concern about having separate manuals for
the different roles because of the possibility (if not
probability) of having these manuals go out of sync with
each other. Having one document that is used to create
different user-role documents is certainly a possibility and
may help to reduce the tendency for version drift between
manuals. But depending upon the document production
platform being used, it might not be possible or practical.
And even if it is, I'd be concerned that using one document
to create all user-role manuals might make the document
source itself much more difficult to maintain. And if it's
difficult to maintain, it will not be kept up to date in a
timely fashion. At the very least I can imagine that
designing such a document would be non-trivial.

In an *ideal* world, from the end user's perspective, I
would like to see 5 different documents available for Sympa:

Three Standard Docs:

- installation manual (but not upgrade info)
- administrator's manual (would include upgrade info)
- list administrator / list owner cookbook

Two Generic Docs designed to be easily customized for
particular site requirements and policies:

- list owner's manual
- subscriber guide (very brief)

Yes, there would be some duplication of information across
some of these manuals, but for ease of use from the reader's
perspective, this approach makes a lot of sense. To prevent
unnecessary duplication, the documentation platform would
need to provide good tools for maintaining accurate cross
references both as physical page citations as well as
hyper-links, depending upon the output format.

But I can also understand that for a typical open source
project, such an approach might be too ambitious to be
practical. Indeed it seems that most for-profit software
vendors rarely get their documentation components right.

...BC

--
| Bill Costa | No good
| 1 Leavitt Lane Voice: | deed...
| CIS/Telecom -- 2nd Floor +1-603-862-3056 |
+---------------[ http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/ ]--+