devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa online user and owner documentation

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Olivier Salaün - CRU <address@concealed>
  • To: Patrick von der Hagen <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed, Virginie Paitrault <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa online user and owner documentation
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:18:03 +0200

Hi Patrick,

The Owners manual is already available as a French version and will be translated to English next October. You'll be welcome to translate it to German then ;-)

This documentation is plugged in Sympa web interface Help page. It contains both user and owner/editor online help. You can check our ML service to browse the French version : http://listes.cru.fr/sympa/help (don't forget to set the GUI to French)

This great documentation was produced by Virginie Paitrault ; she'll also do the English translation.

We're looking for 1 or 2 Native English volunteers to spend some time checking the English version that Virginie will produce. This work involves rereading 10/15 pages of Sympa user documentation, by the end of next October. Let us know if you have the skills and the time for it.

Thanks.

Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
Currently I'm missing some kind of "Owners manual" (perhaps an even more compressed "owners introduction") to give to my listowners. Several parts of the current-sympa-documentation certainly aren't relevant for
my owners and would be listmaster-only.

Writing two seperate manuals certainly would not work (if you have it twice, it will be different...), so I'd just love to have some "master", which could (automatically) generate more specific documentation. So basically all sections would require tags like "releavant for listowner and listmaster", "setup/installation", etc., so I could do "make setup-doc" or "make owners-manual", etc. I'm not sure wheter that would actually be possible, but I suppose it would be an idea worth keeping in mind when you desing a new documentation-system.