devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:12:46 -0400 (EDT)

Regarding my suggested Sympa documentation set where I listed:

Three Standard Docs:

1 installation manual (but not upgrade info)
2 administrator's manual (would include upgrade info)
3 list administrator / list owner cookbook

Two Generic Docs designed to be easily customized for
particular site requirements and policies:

4 list owner's manual
5 subscriber guide (very brief)

in response Olivier Salan <address@concealed> recently
wrote (in part):

(3) how different is it from (4)

The information in 3 *could* certainly be included in 4, but
my motivation is to keep 4 as simple as possible since this
would be a document that may need to be edited by the local
site to match the policies they have in place for their list
owners. The goal of 4 and 5 would be to allow sites to
easily make these documents their own. The first 3
documents, on the other hand, would clearly belong to and be
aimed at the Sympa community at large.

The format of the cookbook would be similar to that seen in
the O'Reilly cookbook series, of which there are many:

http://www.oreilly.com/store/series/cookbooks.html

This organizational approach seems to work well for
collecting related but disconnected chunks of information.
For examples of the kinds of recipes to include, we only need
to look at the Sympa users list where we often see questions
of "How do I set up a list that does thus and so...". The
reference manual would explain, for example, the nuts and
bolts of how an authorization scenario works along with the
syntax and semantics on how to create one. But the cookbook
would illustrate how to implement various types of scenarios
to meet the needs of common types of lists.

Personally I have found the Perl, MySQL, and sendmail
cookbooks very useful and thought a similar sort of document
for the Sympa community would be very useful as well. It
would also be a particularly well suited document for
collaboration since members of the community could be
encouraged to submit their own favorite recipe, much like
your local community church cookbook. :-)

...BC

--
| Bill Costa | No good
| 1 Leavitt Lane Voice: | deed...
| CIS/Telecom -- 2nd Floor +1-603-862-3056 |
+---------------[ http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/ ]--+