devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: address@concealed
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:28:33 -0400 (EDT)

Peter Farmer <address@concealed> recently wrote, in part:

Forgive me if I missed some earlier post that covered this, but
no one seems to have really touched on docbook

Funny you should mention DocBook. It was actually the very
first solution I thought of. There is a lot to recommend it
and to me it is a very logical choice for creating technical
documentation since that's always been its main focus.

Sylvain Amrani <address@concealed> followed up
with:

Writing docbook docs with emacs

That'd be my preferred choice as well. And Emacs has a
perfectly wonderful spelling checker, BTW. :-)

But the issue has been raised if using a markup language for
creating and editing documents, rather than a WYSIWYG word
processor, is having a significant impact on the level and
quality of contributions to the documentation components of
Sympa.

Since I'm a newbie with Sympa, and the Sympa community, I
don't have a good understanding of the who, what, where, and
why of how Sympa documentation gets created and maintained.
What I *have* seen, with some recent questions to the user's
list, is that there are at least a few places where the manual
no longer reflects the current state of the software (some of
the information about aliases and virtual domains for
example). And as with almost any technical document, there
are any number of places where a little gentle editing would
help with clarity and readability.

So I believe the real issue is, who are the people who would
be willing and available to create and edit high quality
documentation -- and is the current use of a document markup
language the reason why we don't have more of these people to
contribute? And/or does the current use of a markup language
make maintaining the documentation more onerous and thus
prevents it from being done as quickly and as throughly as we
might like?

It's axiomatic that programmers don't like to write
documentation (exceptions like myself not withstanding). If
there is evidence that there are folks within the Sympa
community who are not developers, but who are well versed on
using Sympa, and would be interested and motivated to create
and maintain documentation, then it would indeed make sense to
select a documentation platform that would be easy for them to
adopt. And for most computer users, that would indeed be some
WYSIWYG word processor. All things considered, OOoWriter
sounds like it would be a fine choice.

But if we're realistically talking about a bunch of
programmers who are going to be producing the lion's share of
the documentation and its maintenance, then I think the path
of least resistance is giving these developers some well
designed markup language templates which they can pour text
into using their favorite editor.

Speaking for myself, I can see the merits of either OOoWriter
or DocBook. With what I know right now, these would be my
first choices in the WYSIWYG vs. markup choices and would be
happy going with either one. If it were up to me, I'd go with
the markup language. I could make all sorts of arguments
about why a markup language would be a better choice, but
probably the real reason is because I love my text editor too
much.

...BC

--
+---------------[ http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wfc/ ]--+