devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Peter Farmer <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Sympa reference manual source format : OpenOffice
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 10:12:43 +0800

Forgive me if I missed some earlier post that covered this, but no one seems
to have really touched on docbook (http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/DocBook)
as the basis of a Sympa technical document style library - which is exactly
what it is intended for.
In fact there is a a whole subproject at OOo on using OOwriter as WYSIWYG
editor for DocBook XML . The principle is to edit structured documents
using styles that are then transformed to XML tags on export.

http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/

They provide the relevant XSLT stylesheets for the XML transformations and
an OpenOffice.org style template that contains custom styles corresponding
to DocBook tags.

If you'd like to get a feel what it might be like using OO and Docbook have
a look at the User Guide :

http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/UserGuide.html

I havent used it in anger yet myself, but it seems to me that most of the
work has been done or is being done for us. Admittedly DocBook might be too
sophisticated for Sympa Documentation, but there are simplified variants of
DocBook available. Although OOo uses the full DocBook document type
declaration, it does not actually export the full list of DocBook elements
(see http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/docbook/DocBookTags.html) and since
you are not trying to import existing docbook based documentation,

It uses a simplified DocBook tag set which is geared to on-the-fly
rendering. The OpenOffice simplified (or "special" docbook) is available
from http://www.chez.com/ebellot/ooo2sdbk/ (the site is in french).

Some early experiences of the OOo Docbook proof-of-concept phase are here :
http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/OpenOffice
In general I can whole heartedly endorse OO as a tool for cooperative
creation of documentation.
The Linux Documentation Project is created in Docbook format, and some of
its volunteer writers are using OO.