en - Re: [sympa-users] A principle for next generation of sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: Flemming Bjerke <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] A principle for next generation of sympa
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2017 12:44:13 +0200

hello Flemming,

> as well. Hence, it is important to develop a system that help people
> filtering high from low quality comments. If someone writes "Trump
> always says the truth.", a slashdot like system may give such comments
> poor ratings, and thus help people to ignore them and focus on the high
> quality comments.

i really would like to think about it in a larger view because
reputation is also something we know as possibly toxic. in the IT
industry for example, we saw very bad things happened just because the
clever ideas need more time to do their ways.

we also have this problem of "echo chambers" where

* you can be fooled by a little number of people making lot of noise
with fakes and very simple messages (the far right strategy in france)
* good ideas shared by an insuffisant number of people with
poor communication skills is stuck (open source at large is a good
example)

So as the Internet is getting their rights back, its population
tremendously extended both in terms of citizens but in term of diversity
of opinions. Can we design a system to protect us to toxic ideas without
killing inovative ones ? What is toxicity ? What is inovation ?

I don't think this debate is for technical persons and we need to go
public with it!

marc