en - Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa

  • From: Matthew Caron <address@concealed>
  • To: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 12:20:57 -0400

On 03/20/2018 12:05 PM, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> hello,
>
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 11:35:54AM -0400, Matthew Caron wrote:
>> You can run multiple processes inside docker. I'm not sure where folks
>> got the idea that it can only do one.
>
> ok then: good news :)
>
> i have some questions on "how to handle multiple processes in the same
> container" ? do you install openrc or something and use it as the
> entrypoint (AFAIK: that's what we started to try) ?

I would just have your Dockerfile specify a FROM image of the stock
Ubuntu 16.04 image (or whatever your favorite base Linux distro is). For
example our Dockerfile at work starts with:

FROM ubuntu:16.04

We then tell it to apt-get update and apt-get install <many things>

> if not: what to do when one process inside the docker crashes ? how to
> catch this event to handle it ?

The same way you'd handle it on any other server.

It may help to think of docker as just another VM, just like running one
in VirtualBox or VMWare. The technical underpinnings matter very little.

--
Central planning is as smart as the aggregate intelligence of the
central planning committee. A market is as smart as the aggregate