en - Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 10:59:44 +0100

hello Dave,

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 04:28:46PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> I'm not sure that /is/ the philosophy of Docker.

to be fair: i don't know either but i saw multiple talks/papers about it
and saw how it's used around me. besides: as far as i understand
docker (and containers in general as it is also posible with systemd for
exemple) is just a revival of the idea of plan9 namespaces made on top
of the linux stack.

* one process by container
* one orchestration tool which keeps track of the system state
(including load) and able to spawn the required containers to
maintain a complete infrastructure (i think about kubernetes, for
exemple)

> /workload/ per image, IME.

when i play with the official images, i see they come with no init
system so you start the whole thing using the entrypoint you declared on
your image. so you can fork processes, use threads and so on but the
pid one seems to be your entrypoint by default.

> For example, the FreeIPA Docker container -
> https://www.freeipa.org/page/Docker - which runs an LDAP server, web server,

i'll give a look on it: thanks for the url.

regards,
marc