en - Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa

  • From: Rance Hall <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 14:17:30 +0000

I'd like to echo Marc's comments re: Sympa and Docker.

I wrote a working Docker container for SYMPA, but I had to break all the rules of Docker to get it to work.

For example:  Sympa seems to be hard coded to log to /dev/log, and if you don't have a /dev/log in your environment when Sympa starts, sympa will just die.

I solved this problem by using the S6 service manager in a container and running a logging server that created a /dev/log and it was configured to pipe its logs to an external logging server via an environment variable.

Linking a postfix and a sympa container never worked for me because of the way sympa manages the list alias file templates, so it appears to me that postfix must be running in the same container as Sympa.

In our implementation the Sympa server does not send email directly to the internet but instead uses a smarthost to do that, so the smarthost is an environment variable.

All in all I'm pleased with the results, but It's definitely not an example of how to docker, its an example of how to make docker work for you with an app that is not designed to be containerized.

It's my guess, but I suspect that Sympa would need to be completely refactored to make it be a truly containerizable (sp?) app.

Rance Hall

List Manager

ESU 10

Kearney, Nebraska, USA