en - Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa

  • From: "Fillmore, Tom" <address@concealed>
  • To: Matthew Caron <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 15:45:13 -0700

Hi, all -

My two cents, here...

Docker, when used appropriately, allows you to follow the *nix path of 'do one thing and do it well'.  There are a lot of advantages to containers but it's a mindshift, much like a person suddenly realizing how fantastic piping between programs can be and the changes it makes to how they think.

So - to me this setup makes the most sense:
  • A docker container for Postfix (+ spamassassin, amavis, etc)
  • A docker container for your database
  • A docker container for all things Sympa

With this sort of setup it's easier to both scale up and out.  Assuming there are several containers of each running in unison and a monitoring service for them, if one crashes another could be spun up with very very minimal downtime and no loss of data since it's stored on the host, not in the container.

thoughts?

Tom Fillmore

southern California

At Tuesday, 03/20/2018 on 01:36 pm Matthew Caron wrote:
On 03/20/2018 04:08 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>> It could be that you're right, and docker isn't best suited for that,
>> and a virtualbox image would be better. The difference in overhead is
>> pretty low these days.
>>
> Sounds exactly right.

lxc/lxd (on which docker is based) may be another reasonable solution,
as it is a container solution (so, efficient), but is more geared
towards a "full system" container than an app container.

--
Central planning is as smart as the aggregate intelligence of the
central planning committee. A market is as smart as the aggregate