en - Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa

  • From: Matthew Caron <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 11:35:54 -0400

You can run multiple processes inside docker. I'm not sure where folks
got the idea that it can only do one.

From a user perspective, a docker install looks like any other
virtualized server install. You can specify what packages you have when
you spin up the container, and then you can install and configure your
own stuff however you like.

For example: at work, we containerized our build system so that everyone
uses the requisite Ubuntu 16.04 system, set up a certain way, in order
to ensure predictable results. However, everyone runs a mix of Mint,
Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, etc. on their desktops, according to personal
preference. You can pass the build a -j argument with the number of jobs
and it will spin up that many jobs. I have 4 cores, hyperthreaded, so I
run it with -j 8.

--
Central planning is as smart as the aggregate intelligence of the
central planning committee. A market is as smart as the aggregate