en - Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa

  • From: Matthew Caron <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 14:16:01 -0400

On 03/20/2018 01:16 PM, Peter Schober wrote:
> Whether there's a /need/ for Sympa deployers to be running Sympa that
> way I couldn't say. Whether there's a need for the Sympa project to
> be providing such a setup I don't know, either (but I'm sceptical).

I'm skeptical as well. I think it's the new shiny, so everyone wants it.
What's the real "user story" here?

> The *alternative* approach (as presented by Matthew C.) is treating
> containers as VMs and stuffing all into one image.

And this is true whether we use docker/Xen/VBox/Vmware/etc.

> Certainly easier to
> do from the traditional stating point but may not allow to reap all
> the (claimed) benefits of containerisation.
> I.e., here the question is "Why bother with containers at all"?

I don't. I think it adds complexity for little value. But, I'm a grumpy
old man.

> The technology doesn't limit you to either model. What is the goal?
> Make things scale better? Get something published that others can
> easily play with? The answers to those questions will differ
> significantly depending on focus/aims.

Bingo! Which brings us back to the user story.

--
Central planning is as smart as the aggregate intelligence of the
central planning committee. A market is as smart as the aggregate