en - Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Docker for Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 16:08:52 -0400

On 3/20/18 2:12 PM, Matthew Caron wrote:

On 03/20/2018 01:33 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
Me, I run my mail environment in a Xen VM, with failover to a second
machine - using DRBD to replicate disks.  It all works.  I expect that
setting things up inside containers wouldn't be all that much more
tedious - but there's lots of stuff to install, and interfaces to be
considered.  Your mileage may vary.
I run mine on just bare metal (inasmuch as a hosted linode instance is
bare metal). Abstracts all the failover away because it happens
seamlessly because of the VM hosting layer thay provide.
Well.. actually a VM - not sure what they actually use as a hypervisor, but yes, essentially a standard linux environment.

I think the core here is what is the actual user story. It sounds to me
like someone said "I had problem X, I think we can fix it with docker".

The real questions are, "what is problem X", and "is docker really the
best solution"?

It could be that you're right, and docker isn't best suited for that,
and a virtualbox image would be better. The difference in overhead is
pretty low these days.

Sounds exactly right.

Cheers,

Miles