devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Release dates for Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Release dates for Sympa
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 22:53:56 +0900

David, sorry for delayed response.

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 17:53:06 +0100
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I had a talk with my management ten days ago, and here is the expected
> schedule for Sympa in 2014:
>
> * 6.2 version expected in beta by the end of February, stable by the
> end of April
> * 7.0 version expected in beta by the end of May, stable in July
> * 7.1 version expected in beta by the end of December.
>
> 7.1 should contain SaaS functionnalities (config edition through the
> web, refactored configuration management, eased virtual host deplyment).
> You can add whatever you like in this version as soon as it fits within
> the end-of-the-year deadline.
> That gives us indicators for our work on Sympa.
> A word about this schedule?

I wish following things will be incorporated into each releases.
(Note that list below is rough and not complete.)
Items marked "-" are replay of changes mainly done on sympa-6.2-branch-old.
Items marked "+" are new ideas which have never discussed yet.

6.2:

- [dev]/[bug] Fixing bugs and improving robustness of SDM, and
adding auto-update feature to at least SQLite and PostgreSQL.
* Corresponding to several changes in db_list_cache, sympa-spool
and sympa-6.2-branch-old branches.

- [change] Improvement of Language module: transition from POSIX
locale to IETF language tag. It'll make Esperanto, Ido and so on
possible.

- [change] Unifying wwsympa.conf to sympa.conf. Former ahould be
migrated into latter during upgrade process.

- Other improvements done on sympa-6.2-branch-old by some
contributors, if any

6.2 (if time permits) or 7.0:

- [dev] New module LockedFile for locking, obsoleting Lock module.

- [dev] Improving list cache on DB and search feature.
* Corresponding to some works on db_list_cache branch except
Site/Robot/Family/List refactoring.

- [dev] Refactoring on spool: Introducing modularization
corresponding to SympaspoolClassic.

- [dev] Refactoring on Message. Removing unneccessary X-Sympa-*
pseudo-headers, eliminate private keys from bulk table, etc.
* See also description on developer-only space (Wiki).

+ [dev] Refactoring on Log. Abstract interface hiding concrete log
backends (syslog, DB, ...) to carry out reporting/logging in
uniform way.
* I'll explain details in other days.

+ [change] Reconstructing site/robot config page: Giving similar
look & feel to list config pages.

7.0:

- [dev] New naming convention.
Or, if it will not be possible, at least minimum unification of
style (e.g. lowercasing method names).

- [dev] New file orientation, corresponding to the works on
sympa-cleanup branch etc., except refactoring on SDM etc.

- [dev] Also, separating and naming modules appropriately (such as
Sympa::Tools::*).

- [dev] Refactoring on Site/Robot/Family/List, corresponding to the
part of works on sympa-6.2-branch-old branch.

7.0 (if time permits) or 7.1:

+ [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) alias_manager. LDAP- and MySQL-
variants will be integrated.

+ [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) sympa.pl.

+ [dev] Integrating Sympa::Plugin into Sympa core. It'll
also make following thing possible.

+ [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) WWSympa.
* I'll explain details in other days.

7.1:
+ [dev] Refactoring on message pipeline to make customization of
message processing easier.
* I'll explain details in other days.

Regards,

--