devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Release dates for Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Release dates for Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:48:43 +0100

Le 25/02/14 04:05, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Hi,

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:43:48 +0100
Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed> wrote:

Le 19/02/2014 05:38, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
Hi,
I'll tell you my recent work.

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 22:53:56 +0900
IKEDA Soji <address@concealed> wrote:

<<snip>>

6.2:

- [dev]/[bug] Fixing bugs and improving robustness of SDM, and
   adding auto-update feature to at least SQLite and PostgreSQL.
   * Corresponding to several changes in db_list_cache, sympa-spool
     and sympa-6.2-branch-old branches.
Done.
Great! I''l test all this before releasing the beta.
We have a PgSQL available.

- [change] Improvement of Language module: transition from POSIX
   locale to IETF language tag.  It'll make Esperanto, Ido and so on
   possible.
Work in progress.  If it couldn't done in this weekend, I'll give up
and postpone it to 7.0.
OK. This week, if I may, I'll start running future beta on a new server.
Otherwise next week.

- [change] Unifying wwsympa.conf to sympa.conf.  Former ahould be
   migrated into latter during upgrade process.
Done.
Good. that will simplify the listmasters' lifes.

- Other improvements done on sympa-6.2-branch-old by some
   contributors, if any
Investigating.
Yes; I'll have a look at the troubles regarding VOOT you mentionned in a previous post.

6.2 (if time permits) or 7.0:

- [dev] New module LockedFile for locking, obsoleting Lock module.
Done, however, careful tests are required.
This kind of changes would better have been introduced in the trunk
first, and backported to 6.2 later.
Okey, I'll merge this change into current trunk.  Please wait for
a week.

If you feel inconvenience in any additions to any branches, please
feel free to inform us.  I (or any of else) will merge those changes
into branch you are working on, trunk.

According to current release plan, I suppose that complete merger
between trunk and release branch will be obtained when 7.0 will be
released.

Why I suppose such is: Several reorderings and refactorings had been
and will be made on former and several addtions and bug fixes had
been and will be made on latter.  Both of them are irreconcilable.

However, significant changes will be shared between both branches
as necessary, even if we will have to submit to "doublethink".
I agree with you. Some fixes will not be plainly applicable from branch 6.2 to trunk and some bugs won't even need to be fixed in trunk, due to the new organisation.

- [dev] Improving list cache on DB and search feature.
   * Corresponding to some works on db_list_cache branch except
     Site/Robot/Family/List refactoring.
I found this change makes code slightly complicated when
Site/Robot/Family/List refactoring had not been done.  So it would
be postponed to 7.0.
OK.

- [dev] Refactoring on spool: Introducing modularization
   corresponding to SympaspoolClassic.
Ditto, would be postponed to 7.0.
OK.

- [dev] Refactoring on Message.  Removing unneccessary X-Sympa-*
   pseudo-headers, eliminate private keys from bulk table, etc.
   * See also description on developer-only space (Wiki).
I'll draw picture to describe what I think.  If it couldn't done in
this weekend, I'll give up and postpone it to 7.0.
OK

+ [dev] Refactoring on Log.  Abstract interface hiding concrete log
   backends (syslog, DB, ...) to carry out reporting/logging in
   uniform way.
   * I'll explain details in other days.
7.0.
OK.

+ [change] Reconstructing site/robot config page: Giving similar
   look & feel to list config pages.
7.1.
OK.

7.0:

- [dev] New naming convention.
   Or, if it will not be possible, at least minimum unification of
   style (e.g. lowercasing method names).

- [dev] New file orientation, corresponding to the works on
   sympa-cleanup branch etc., except refactoring on SDM etc.

- [dev] Also, separating and naming modules appropriately (such as
   Sympa::Tools::*).

- [dev] Refactoring on Site/Robot/Family/List, corresponding to the
   part of works on sympa-6.2-branch-old branch.

7.0 (if time permits) or 7.1:

+ [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) alias_manager.  LDAP- and MySQL-
   variants will be integrated.

+ [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) sympa.pl.

+ [dev] Integrating Sympa::Plugin into Sympa core.  It'll
   also make following thing possible.

+ [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) WWSympa.
   * I'll explain details in other days.
I got no specific privileges on the trunk branch, you're welcome to
commit those changes right now. I'm especially interested in your latest
cleanup of leftover wwsympa.conf references.
You mean guillaume's latest commits ?
You should have privileges on the trunk; I'll have a lok at that.

7.1:
+ [dev] Refactoring on message pipeline to make customization of
   message processing easier.
   * I'll explain details in other days.
I fear than having too much refactoring thread at once exceed everyone's
ability to follow multiple discussions.
I'll explain on them after release of any beta of 6.2.  Please wait
for more moment.
OK.

That's a lot of work from ypou Soji, and from you Guillaume.
May you be praised for three generations.

Best regards,

David

Regards,

--- Soji

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Études et projets applicatifs

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21