devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Release dates for Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Release dates for Sympa
  • Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 17:08:56 +0100

Hi Soji,

Le 05/02/14 14:53, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
David, sorry for delayed response.

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 17:53:06 +0100
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

Hi guys,

I had a talk with my management ten days ago, and here is the expected
schedule for Sympa in 2014:

  * 6.2 version expected in beta by the end of February, stable by the
    end of April
  * 7.0 version expected in beta by the end of May, stable in July
  * 7.1 version expected in beta by the end of December.

7.1 should contain SaaS functionnalities (config edition through the
web, refactored configuration management, eased virtual host deplyment).
You can add whatever you like in this version as soon as it fits within
the end-of-the-year deadline.
That gives us indicators for our work on Sympa.
A word about this schedule?
I wish following things will be incorporated into each releases.
(Note that list below is rough and not complete.)
Items marked "-" are replay of changes mainly done on sympa-6.2-branch-old.
Items marked "+" are new ideas which have never discussed yet.

6.2:

- [dev]/[bug] Fixing bugs and improving robustness of SDM, and
  adding auto-update feature to at least SQLite and PostgreSQL.
  * Corresponding to several changes in db_list_cache, sympa-spool
    and sympa-6.2-branch-old branches.
No problem. Auto-update for SQLite and Postgres is supposed to be working already.

- [change] Improvement of Language module: transition from POSIX
  locale to IETF language tag.  It'll make Esperanto, Ido and so on
  possible.
Is it a big move? I have no idea of the difference between those two.

- [change] Unifying wwsympa.conf to sympa.conf.  Former ahould be
  migrated into latter during upgrade process.
No problem.

- Other improvements done on sympa-6.2-branch-old by some
  contributors, if any
OK. We have the month to do this.

6.2 (if time permits) or 7.0:

- [dev] New module LockedFile for locking, obsoleting Lock module.
This should be easy as Lock is well factorized already.

- [dev] Improving list cache on DB and search feature.
  * Corresponding to some works on db_list_cache branch except
    Site/Robot/Family/List refactoring.
Alright. Let's keep the Site/Robot/Family/List refactoring for 7.0, I agree with you.

- [dev] Refactoring on spool: Introducing modularization
  corresponding to SympaspoolClassic.
It is probably in the 6.2 branch already.

- [dev] Refactoring on Message.  Removing unneccessary X-Sympa-*
  pseudo-headers, eliminate private keys from bulk table, etc.
  * See also description on developer-only space (Wiki).
W-Sympa-* are probably necessary because they are used for posting from the web interface. I see no easy solution to get rid of them.

+ [dev] Refactoring on Log.  Abstract interface hiding concrete log
  backends (syslog, DB, ...) to carry out reporting/logging in
  uniform way.
  * I'll explain details in other days.
This is probably 7.0.

+ [change] Reconstructing site/robot config page: Giving similar
  look & feel to list config pages.
I plan it for 7.1 (this goes well along with SaaS). It should be developped along with configuration unification and rights management for virtual host configuration edition (and reloading of config without restarting Sympa)

7.0:

- [dev] New naming convention.
  Or, if it will not be possible, at least minimum unification of
  style (e.g. lowercasing method names).
Agreed! This is one of the aim of the 7.0.

- [dev] New file orientation, corresponding to the works on
  sympa-cleanup branch etc., except refactoring on SDM etc.
OK

- [dev] Also, separating and naming modules appropriately (such as
  Sympa::Tools::*).
OK

- [dev] Refactoring on Site/Robot/Family/List, corresponding to the
  part of works on sympa-6.2-branch-old branch.
OK

7.0 (if time permits) or 7.1:

+ [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) alias_manager.  LDAP- and MySQL-
  variants will be integrated.
Yes. And I would like to add a "keep-alias" option when renaming a list: Sympa would keep a redirection from old list address to new list address.

+ [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) sympa.pl.
It is almost done; The main loop should be very short starting 7.0.

+ [dev] Integrating Sympa::Plugin into Sympa core.  It'll
  also make following thing possible.
Yes, but I have no idea how to do this. Shouldn't we try to do this in 7.0?

+ [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) WWSympa.
  * I'll explain details in other days.
I'm eager to read this.

7.1:
+ [dev] Refactoring on message pipeline to make customization of
  message processing easier.
  * I'll explain details in other days.
Same. I'm eager to read your ideas regarding this issue. Message pipelining is a pain in Sympa, but simplifying it is quite hard.

Thanks for your input!

Best regards,

David

Regards,

Best regards,

David

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!
<https://sourcesup.renater.fr/tracker/?group_id=23>

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21

www.renater.fr <http;//www.renater.fr>
	RENATER
263 Avenue du Gal Leclerc
35042 Rennes Cedex

--
A bug in Sympa? Quick! To the bug tracker!

David Verdin
Études et projets applicatifs

Tél : +33 2 23 23 69 71
Fax : +33 2 23 23 71 21