devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Release dates for Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Release dates for Sympa
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 14:08:21 +0900

Hi David,

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 17:08:56 +0100
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

> Hi Soji,
>
> Le 05/02/14 14:53, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
> > David, sorry for delayed response.
> >
> > On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 17:53:06 +0100
> > David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> I had a talk with my management ten days ago, and here is the expected
> >> schedule for Sympa in 2014:
> >>
> >> * 6.2 version expected in beta by the end of February, stable by the
> >> end of April
> >> * 7.0 version expected in beta by the end of May, stable in July
> >> * 7.1 version expected in beta by the end of December.
> >>
> >> 7.1 should contain SaaS functionnalities (config edition through the
> >> web, refactored configuration management, eased virtual host deplyment).
> >> You can add whatever you like in this version as soon as it fits within
> >> the end-of-the-year deadline.
> >> That gives us indicators for our work on Sympa.
> >> A word about this schedule?
> > I wish following things will be incorporated into each releases.
> > (Note that list below is rough and not complete.)
> > Items marked "-" are replay of changes mainly done on
> > sympa-6.2-branch-old.
> > Items marked "+" are new ideas which have never discussed yet.
> >

> > 6.2:
> >
> > - [dev]/[bug] Fixing bugs and improving robustness of SDM, and
> > adding auto-update feature to at least SQLite and PostgreSQL.
> > * Corresponding to several changes in db_list_cache, sympa-spool
> > and sympa-6.2-branch-old branches.
> No problem. Auto-update for SQLite and Postgres is supposed to be
> working already.
> >
> > - [change] Improvement of Language module: transition from POSIX
> > locale to IETF language tag. It'll make Esperanto, Ido and so on
> > possible.
> Is it a big move? I have no idea of the difference between those two.

See the post at Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:06:29 +0900
<address@concealed>.

> > - [change] Unifying wwsympa.conf to sympa.conf. Former ahould be
> > migrated into latter during upgrade process.
> No problem.
> >
> > - Other improvements done on sympa-6.2-branch-old by some
> > contributors, if any
> OK. We have the month to do this.

> > 6.2 (if time permits) or 7.0:
> >
> > - [dev] New module LockedFile for locking, obsoleting Lock module.
> This should be easy as Lock is well factorized already.
> >
> > - [dev] Improving list cache on DB and search feature.
> > * Corresponding to some works on db_list_cache branch except
> > Site/Robot/Family/List refactoring.
> Alright. Let's keep the Site/Robot/Family/List refactoring for 7.0, I
> agree with you.
> >
> > - [dev] Refactoring on spool: Introducing modularization
> > corresponding to SympaspoolClassic.
> It is probably in the 6.2 branch already.

Unfortunately, current 6.2 branch had been rollbacked to the time
_just_ before when sympa-spool was merged.

> > - [dev] Refactoring on Message. Removing unneccessary X-Sympa-*
> > pseudo-headers, eliminate private keys from bulk table, etc.
> > * See also description on developer-only space (Wiki).
> W-Sympa-* are probably necessary because they are used for posting from
> the web interface. I see no easy solution to get rid of them.

I'll draw picture to describe what I think. Please wait for a moment.

> > + [dev] Refactoring on Log. Abstract interface hiding concrete log
> > backends (syslog, DB, ...) to carry out reporting/logging in
> > uniform way.
> > * I'll explain details in other days.
> This is probably 7.0.

I have no objection.

> > + [change] Reconstructing site/robot config page: Giving similar
> > look & feel to list config pages.
> I plan it for 7.1 (this goes well along with SaaS). It should be
> developped along with configuration unification and rights management
> for virtual host configuration edition (and reloading of config without
> restarting Sympa)

I agree.

> > 7.0:
> >
> > - [dev] New naming convention.
> > Or, if it will not be possible, at least minimum unification of
> > style (e.g. lowercasing method names).
> Agreed! This is one of the aim of the 7.0.
> >
> > - [dev] New file orientation, corresponding to the works on
> > sympa-cleanup branch etc., except refactoring on SDM etc.
> OK
> >
> > - [dev] Also, separating and naming modules appropriately (such as
> > Sympa::Tools::*).
> OK
> >
> > - [dev] Refactoring on Site/Robot/Family/List, corresponding to the
> > part of works on sympa-6.2-branch-old branch.
> OK

> > 7.0 (if time permits) or 7.1:
> >
> > + [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) alias_manager. LDAP- and MySQL-
> > variants will be integrated.
> Yes. And I would like to add a "keep-alias" option when renaming a list:
> Sympa would keep a redirection from old list address to new list address.

I'll keep it in my mind.

> > + [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) sympa.pl.
> It is almost done; The main loop should be very short starting 7.0.

Really? I look forward to it.

> > + [dev] Integrating Sympa::Plugin into Sympa core. It'll
> > also make following thing possible.
> Yes, but I have no idea how to do this. Shouldn't we try to do this in 7.0?

We may simply put Sympa/Plugin/Manager.pm and so on into lib/, I
suppose. Required changes on List.pm and wwsympa.fcgi has been
merged into 6.2 branch.

On remainders, I'll describe later days.

> > + [dev] Refactoring (modularizing) WWSympa.
> > * I'll explain details in other days.
> I'm eager to read this.
>
> > 7.1:
> > + [dev] Refactoring on message pipeline to make customization of
> > message processing easier.
> > * I'll explain details in other days.
> Same. I'm eager to read your ideas regarding this issue. Message
> pipelining is a pain in Sympa, but simplifying it is quite hard.
>
> Thanks for your input!

Regards,

--- Soji

--