devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Ldap updates from sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Mark K <address@concealed>
  • To: <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Ldap updates from sympa
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:54:39 -0600

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:10:16 -0500
Joe Vieira <address@concealed> wrote:

> > Since there is not a definite one to one linkage between an LDAP
> > group query and a list (you can have many lists feed from the same
> > LDAP group and you can have several groups feed one list) I think
> > it would be very hard to make that work reliably.
> >
> > If you were using families, where all the lists and groups are in a
> > one to one relationship you would have less chance for errors, but
> > I think it still would be pretty risky. The ACIs alone would be a
> > nightmare.
> >

> So then, i guess i am curious what other people do, when they are
> using LDAP as a backend? Do you allow modification of lists thru the
> web interface at all?
>
> You sound pretty pessimistic about modification back to LDAP, but to
> me it seems like the only thing TO DO.
> I guess it would be all about building your configuration correctly
> in both directions, if it is to work at all.
>
> Joe

If you already have an LDAP infrastructure in place with the means to
make modifications to it, you can just keep that in place and have
people use that for modifying the mailing lists that magically happen
in concert with the LDAP groups :). You can SOAP in whatever else to
your existing web presence. That way you just include in LDAP groups
for list members and LDAP stays as the authoritative source.

I do something similar at my installation, but it is for list owners
and the backend is postgresql. Postgres remains the authoritative
source for list owners through the web presence that we already have.

--
Mark K