devel - RE: [sympa-dev] Ldap updates from sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Joe Vieira <address@concealed>
  • To: Patrick von der Hagen <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-dev] Ldap updates from sympa
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 06:33:58 -0500

>Imagine a restricted resource granting access based on
>LDAP-group-membership and a responsible person expecting to be asked for
>approval before granting access. Someone else doesn't know about such>
>policies or the implications about adding someone to a mailinglist and
>suddenly someone gets access to a restricted resource who should not.

That's where robust design comes in, your sympa service account shouldn't
have access to add people to groups which are restricted or sensitive. what
if on the flip side you want to grant people access to things based on what
mailing lists they're in. say you've got a blog or something, and you only
want people on the mailing list to be able to log into the blog....how can
you do that currently? you need to know about ALL subscribers.

also, what if someone gets manually added to a mailing list (via sympa) and
then gets added to the ldap group later by an automated process (they added
a class or something)? does sympa handle that or does the user get two
copies of the mail?

>You would probably only know "at some time someone added a group-entry"
>and you are expected to find out "who did the change", "who approved the
>change" and "when did it happen".
>You can only reliably do that if you restrict yourself to ONE point of
>change where you can provide some kind of audit-log. Digging around "it
>might have been the help-desk... but I can't find anything in their
>logs.... it might have been sympa... but I don't keep sympa-logs long
>enough... it might have been an LDAP-admin, but they don't even make a
>note when changing a group-entry in the directory..." is really ugly.

I don't think applications should be responsible for making sys admins or
design engineers responsible, and they certainly can't enforce policies
regarding log retention and such...the sys admin / engineers need to design
the whole thing correctly...(good software isn't a replacement for good
admins)

i certainly understand the logic behind NOT letting tons of applications
change things, however those are design considerations of individual
infrastructures, some infrastructures might need it, in others it might mess
everything up. I think that the ablity to write back to datasources is
important, i mean default it to off, and have it require configuration to
work correctly. heck make it possible for manual additions to groups to
actually be added to another group, and build a secondary query to include
them. that way they are separate but all in one datasource.

thanks for the discusses these are proving very helpful,

Joe Vieira
UNIX System Administrator
Clark University