devel - Re: [sympa-dev] Ldap updates from sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Joe Vieira <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-dev] Ldap updates from sympa
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:10:16 -0500

Since there is not a definite one to one linkage between an LDAP group query
and a list (you can have many lists feed from the same LDAP group and you
can have several groups feed one list) I think it would be very hard to make
that work reliably.
If you were using families, where all the lists and groups are in a one to
one relationship you would have less chance for errors, but I think it still
would be pretty risky. The ACIs alone would be a nightmare.

So then, i guess i am curious what other people do, when they are using LDAP as a backend? Do you allow modification of lists thru the web interface at all?
You sound pretty pessimistic about modification back to LDAP, but to me it seems like the only thing TO DO.
I guess it would be all about building your configuration correctly in both directions, if it is to work at all.

Joe