devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Luc Didry <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 20:40:17 +0900

Hi Luc,

2019/04/12 19:34、Luc Didry <address@concealed>のメール:

> vendredi 12 avril 2019, 12:23:19 CEST Xavier Bachelot wrote:
>> My understanding of Luc's idea is he don't want sympa.conf-dist to be
>> edited by the admin. This is only holding the default values which are
>> overridden by the real sympa.conf file.
>
> Exactly! That's only a template to pick snippets from because new
> options sometimes appear but admins don't know them since the
> sympa.conf file is not updated at install time.
> Now they can look at sympa.conf-dist to have a look at all the
> options. It will not be easy to notice new options if they are not at
> the end of the file, but it will be easier than before.
>
> See sympa.conf-dist like an embedded documentation.

I see. It looks easier than reading sympa.conf(5) and figuring out how to
add each parameter.

If we adopted this, I think where to put sympa.conf-dist file (CONFDIR or
DATADIR) depends on policy of packagers. Should we make it controllable by
such as configure option?

> The job is done: https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa/pull/595.
> Now, it surely requires some cleaning: I didn't knew where to put my
> script, so I putted it a the root of the repository.

I’ll look at it.

Regards,
— Soji