devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Xavier Bachelot <address@concealed>
  • To: Luc Didry <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 17:26:39 +0200

Hi Luc,

Le 05/04/2019 à 14:05, Luc Didry a écrit :
Hello,

Sympa has a lot of options to put in sympa.conf. Unfortunately,
sympa.conf isn’t updated on upgrades, which can make the sysadmin not
noticing new options.

One simple solution is to provide a /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist,
providing all the available options with their default values for
sysadmins to pick the options they want. I think the current minimal
sympa.conf is a good thing though: I think it’s better to have a
minimal and understandable conf file rather an overwhelming conf file
like the one we used to have.

What do you think of that? And how to do that?

This looks like an interesting idea.
And this is more or less what is being done for the various web and mail templates.
About the file location, I wouldn't "pollute" /etc with the sympa.conf-dist file. This is not a configuration file and should not be confused with one. I would rather use $DATADIR, the same place as the other default files.
Iirc, there are a couple settings that are mandatory to be set by the admin (domain, listmaster and possibly others), so a minimal sympa.conf would still be needed.

I was thinking that I could create a script with the code used by
`sympa_wizard.pl --create` that would generate it, then the script
would be run from `make install` and the file would be installed after
the generation, but would it be the good way to do it?

[1] https://github.com/sympa-community/sympa/issues/508

Regards,
Xavier