devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Xavier Bachelot <address@concealed>
  • To: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>, Luc Didry <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 12:23:19 +0200

Le 12/04/2019 à 11:20, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 09:34:12 +0200
Luc Didry <address@concealed> wrote:

vendredi 5 avril 2019, 17:26:39 CEST Xavier Bachelot wrote:
This looks like an interesting idea.
And this is more or less what is being done for the various web and mail
templates.
About the file location, I wouldn't "pollute" /etc with the
sympa.conf-dist file. This is not a configuration file and should not be
confused with one. I would rather use $DATADIR, the same place as the
other default files.

When you update packages in Debian and you have modified the conf file
in /etc and you said you want to keep it, Debian put the new version
of the conf file provided by the package in a file suffixed by
.dpkg-new.

One of the first thing you do after installing Sympa is going to
/etc/sympa to configure it. I think it makes sense to have the -dist
file in the same directory: it's easier to notice it than if it’s in
$DATADIR.

Anyway, that’s a point that can be discussed later. First thing first:
creating the -dist file 🙂

Iirc, there are a couple settings that are mandatory to be set by the
admin (domain, listmaster and possibly others), so a minimal sympa.conf
would still be needed.

I wanted to keep it, indeed and let admins pick what they want in the
sympa.conf-dist file.

I don't prefer to single *.conf-dist file. At first looking, it
looks conprehensive. However it seems a bit hard to maintain: Since
all possible parameters are listed, it gets more and more unclear
who edited which parameters.

My understanding of Luc's idea is he don't want sympa.conf-dist to be edited by the admin. This is only holding the default values which are overridden by the real sympa.conf file.

Example may be seen on Postfix. In fact, when I build a mail
server, I at first replace bundled main.cf with output of
"postconf -n", then add only necessary parameters.

When inclusion feature (see GH issue #17) would be introduced,
sympa.conf might be split into multiple snippets.
Examples may be seen on dovecot, nginx and so on. They may have
directories like /etc/dovecot/ to hold snippets.

I like the idea of splitting the big sympa.conf in smaller and more concise subsets. But David is right, the conf is not really monolithic already.
When I look at the rpm, there are several files marked as config:
/etc/sympa/auth.conf
/etc/sympa/charset.conf
/etc/sympa/crawlers_detection.conf
/etc/sympa/create_list.conf
/etc/sympa/data_structure.current_version
/etc/sympa/edit_list.conf
/etc/sympa/mime.types
/etc/sympa/nrcpt_by_domain.conf
/etc/sympa/sympa.conf
/etc/sympa/sympa.wsdl
/etc/sympa/topics.conf

On a side note, If we're going the /etc/sympa/conf.d way, it might be a good opportunity to re-think the way robots/virtual domains confs are structured.

Regards,
Xavier