devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: Luc Didry <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 18:20:29 +0900

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 09:34:12 +0200
Luc Didry <address@concealed> wrote:

> vendredi 5 avril 2019, 17:26:39 CEST Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> > This looks like an interesting idea.
> > And this is more or less what is being done for the various web and mail
> > templates.
> > About the file location, I wouldn't "pollute" /etc with the
> > sympa.conf-dist file. This is not a configuration file and should not be
> > confused with one. I would rather use $DATADIR, the same place as the
> > other default files.
>
> When you update packages in Debian and you have modified the conf file
> in /etc and you said you want to keep it, Debian put the new version
> of the conf file provided by the package in a file suffixed by
> .dpkg-new.
>
> One of the first thing you do after installing Sympa is going to
> /etc/sympa to configure it. I think it makes sense to have the -dist
> file in the same directory: it's easier to notice it than if it’s in
> $DATADIR.
>
> Anyway, that’s a point that can be discussed later. First thing first:
> creating the -dist file 🙂
>
> > Iirc, there are a couple settings that are mandatory to be set by the
> > admin (domain, listmaster and possibly others), so a minimal sympa.conf
> > would still be needed.
>
> I wanted to keep it, indeed and let admins pick what they want in the
> sympa.conf-dist file.

I don't prefer to single *.conf-dist file. At first looking, it
looks conprehensive. However it seems a bit hard to maintain: Since
all possible parameters are listed, it gets more and more unclear
who edited which parameters.

Example may be seen on Postfix. In fact, when I build a mail
server, I at first replace bundled main.cf with output of
"postconf -n", then add only necessary parameters.

When inclusion feature (see GH issue #17) would be introduced,
sympa.conf might be split into multiple snippets.
Examples may be seen on dovecot, nginx and so on. They may have
directories like /etc/dovecot/ to hold snippets.

Additionally, some distributions (e.g. Debian) have things like
/etc/nginx/site-available/ and /etc/nginx/site-enabled/ to
make maintenance easier.

Regards,
-- Soji

--