devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Luc Didry <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] A /etc/sympa/sympa.conf-dist file
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2019 09:34:12 +0200

vendredi 5 avril 2019, 17:26:39 CEST Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> This looks like an interesting idea.
> And this is more or less what is being done for the various web and mail
> templates.
> About the file location, I wouldn't "pollute" /etc with the
> sympa.conf-dist file. This is not a configuration file and should not be
> confused with one. I would rather use $DATADIR, the same place as the
> other default files.

When you update packages in Debian and you have modified the conf file
in /etc and you said you want to keep it, Debian put the new version
of the conf file provided by the package in a file suffixed by
.dpkg-new.

One of the first thing you do after installing Sympa is going to
/etc/sympa to configure it. I think it makes sense to have the -dist
file in the same directory: it's easier to notice it than if it’s in
$DATADIR.

Anyway, that’s a point that can be discussed later. First thing first:
creating the -dist file 🙂

> Iirc, there are a couple settings that are mandatory to be set by the
> admin (domain, listmaster and possibly others), so a minimal sympa.conf
> would still be needed.

I wanted to keep it, indeed and let admins pick what they want in the
sympa.conf-dist file.
--
Luc
"La route est longue, mais la voie est libre…" https://framasoft.org

Framasoft ne vit que par vos dons (déductibles des impôts). Merci d'avance
pour votre soutien https://soutenir.framasoft.org