en - Re: [sympa-users] problems with DMARC?

  • From: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] problems with DMARC?
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:43:53 -0700

Steve Shipway writes:
> After reading the Wikipedia DMARC entry at
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMARC
> and RFC2606 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606 , it seems to me that the
> bes
> t way to munge the From header and avoid DMARC would be to change the email
> ddress to have the .invalid suffix, rather than change the From email
> address
> to be that of the list.
>
> Thus --
>
> From: Mr Test <address@concealed>
>
> would be rewritten to be

> The .invalid GTLD is reserved for precisely this usage and will never
> become
> a valid email address.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts? I might extend my patch (yet again) to give
> ptions for the email address to be changed in this way.

What became of your "anonymising mode" idea?

Steve writes:
> One possibility might be to add a new anonymising mode, where the From
> address is replaced, but the original is preserved as the Full Name. EG:
>
> From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
> ...can be rewritten as...
> From: "Steve Shipway <address@concealed>" <address@concealed>

Some things I have been thinking about

1) what about a "de-munger" to make list replies work. Something like

J. R. Hacker <address@concealed>
J. R. Hacker via listname <address@concealed>

and have dmarc.example.com demunge the address and deliver the mail. It
would need to be protected somehow to prevent being used as a remailer
(maybe it could look for something in the reply headers?) or for sending
spam.

2) Maybe just rewrite them all to a single address that is just configured
to reply with a notice saying "due to the DMARC policy of the domain of the
person you are trying to email your mail was not delivered, please adjust
the to address and try again".
The issues I see with that is:
Pro: if you care that the sender sees the message (direct "reply", or they
aren't subscribed) then you might really want to know your reply isn't
going to reach them.
Con: if I am doing reply-all to a message on a large public list that was
sent by a yahoo sender (and thus sends to both the sender and the list) I
don't really want to be bothered with such a notice. It's a little like
people with broken vacation mail scripts (that don't ignore bulk messages)
being subscribed to lists resulting in emailing every list poster (grounds
for getting unsubscribed on many lists I'm on)

Thanks for your work on the patch!

--
Matt Taggart
address@concealed