en - Re: [sympa-users] problems with DMARC?

  • From: Matt Taggart <address@concealed>
  • To: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] problems with DMARC?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 21:51:21 -0700

Hi Steve,

Steve Shipway writes:

> Sadly, we can't just refuse Yahoo.com emails here; we are a university with
> many students who use this sort of service.

Well lists.riseup.net can't either, we currently have >250k yahoo.com
subscribers! We currently have no easy way to measure what percentage of
messages from are _sent_ from yahoo.com addresses, but if it matches the
percentage of subscribers that's ~7% (and my guess is senders are more
likely to be weighted to non-freemail domains, that that might be lower).

But this is not currently a decision between

"Support yahoo.com" vs "Not support yahoo.com"

it's a decision between

"Allow yahoo.com posting which results in every
yahoo/hotmail/gmail/etc address on the list bouncing and
potentially getting unsubscribed by sympa's bounce processing"
vs
"Do not allow yahoo.com posting, but all non-yahoo posts still get
delivered to yahoo/hotmail/gmail/etc addresses with no problems"

I still hope for a real solution, but we're having to pick the lesser of
two evils purely for damage control currently :(

--
Matt Taggart
address@concealed