en - RE: [sympa-users] Footer as text?

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: Scott Johnson <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Footer as text?
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:59:55 -0800

> However, when I make this change to a test group, *no* footer is attached.
> This happens when the RECEPTION setting is HTML or standard (direct
> reception). Changing it back to MIME results in the footer showing up again.
> When I view the message source, I still don't see the footer.
>
> Are there any restrictions in what can be in the footer? Or a special
> procedure for creating it?

Yes, when you send a non-plaintext message (HTML formatting) to a list
with the footer set to "append", you get no footer at all. This is a
problem with Sympa -- it's unacceptable not to have basic list
instructions in a message footer on a listserv in this era -- and I
fixed it by making a new footer type I call "flex", which will append to
plaintext messages while attaching to MIME (HTML) messages. So all my
lists are set to that, and everybody gets the best option.

I haven't submitted that patch to Sympa, as it's maybe a little messy,
but could do so or could share it with someone who wants it. It's
really just changing a few lines of code.

ab