devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] 2018 hackathon report

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: Soji Ikeda <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] 2018 hackathon report
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 16:35:56 +0200

On 07/06/2018 14:41, Soji Ikeda wrote:

Indeed, I realized it’s irrelevant. I want to apologize my offensive post
without explanation.
Not a big deal. Let's all be careful in our choice of words in the future! ;-)
Of course. However, it is still good to work on translating wiki syntax to
markdown - as you did with the manual - which makes all this content
independent from hosting.
And working on a way to expose this content on platform nicer than Github
pages - especially considering the recent acquisition of Github by Microsoft
is a work that won't be lost.
That metaphor is not necessarily appropriate, but there seems
some truth.

Honestly, I think we would be better to be independent from
RENATER: We are The Sympa Community, not only a project nursed
by them. (You remember, once I told you an idea about relation between us
and them.)
Yes, I hear your point but I, for one, don't share your doubts.
Of course, there were troubles last year but I really think they made up for it:
- they employ two people (including me) working on Sympa,
- they are large users (more than 40 domains, 300 000 users) of the software,
- they spend money sending us away for Sympa promotion (French Perl workshop 2013 and 2014, YAPC 2014, Perl conference 2018, JRES 2011, 2013, 2015 and 2017, Involvment with european research and education institutions (trinaing at GÉANT), etc.
- they will provide a server to which members of the community (not everyone, selected admins) will have full access;

Honestly, despite some lacks in 2016-2017, RENATER is still one of the stronger current supports of Sympa.
(and I really hope to convince them to help us make you come to Europe if we achieve to run a Sympa conference).

I’ll write on this further after reading report.
Certainly!
It should be a consensus.
Your concern about external resources is very important. RENATER failed in
the past, so we must get guarantees to prevent such a situation to arise
again.
Why not opening an issue on dotorg project about hosting with the questions
you asked? This would be a good way to reach a decision.
For fair discussion, I ask for removing it once.
I'm not sure to understand your sentence correctly. Could you please rephrase it?

Regards,

David

--
"Mieux vaut viser la perfection et la rater que viser la médiocrité et
l'atteindre."