devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] 2018 hackathon report

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] 2018 hackathon report
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 12:08:41 +0200

Hi again Soji !

On 07/06/2018 11:44, IKEDA Soji wrote:
Done!
What about archives?
Done too. Archives rebuilding is done.

- Please remove two repositories on GitHub at this time: dotorg and
old-renater-dokuwiki.

These will not complete with repo itself (it looks requiring
external resource), while their scope is ambiguous.
I'm sorry, I did not understand what you mean here. You want us to
remove these repositories from github? If it is yes, I did not get the
reason.
When I asked at first, Marc denied to give reason.
Well, I don't want to be rude but sending "Marc, please explain" on a
mailing list is NOT a good way to ask a question. Giving context is
primordial if you want to be understood.
So let's all forget about this flamewar and focus on the great task that
are awaiting us, shall we? I, for one, am very excited about all the
great things we are about to do!
My post on the list is not the beginning. Do you forget conversasion
on IRC (in 24 May, before my post on list)? Anyhow I have been
waiting, and will read proposal from now on.
I was not following this conversation. I caught some parts of it and i seems that things went out of control at some point indeed. I'm really sorry it went this way.
However, people in the lists are not all following the chat. Giving background would still have been relevant, I think.

Simple creation of repo, branch or PR may not matter. However, it
looked implying usage of external resource. It is not easily
reversible. Such thing may not be decided by limited discussion.
Of course. However, it is still good to work on translating wiki syntax to markdown - as you did with the manual - which makes all this content independent from hosting.
And working on a way to expose this content on platform nicer than Github pages - especially considering the recent acquisition of Github by Microsoft is a work that won't be lost.

Your concern about external resources is very important. RENATER failed in the past, so we must get guarantees to prevent such a situation to arise again.
Why not opening an issue on dotorg project about hosting with the questions you asked? This would be a good way to reach a decision.

Please make fair discussion, if you want to make great work.
Actually, you make great work already - and since a long time. The point is for the rest of us to start making great work too. ;-)
I can't agree to
such manner.

Please remove repository "dotorg" and "old-renater-dokuwiki" once,
then wait until we read report, discuss about it and at last create
them if necessary.
Nope, I won't.  A lot of repositories have been created during last year
hackathon - with only agreement from hackathon attendees - and nobody
complained.
If (which I doubt) the purpose of these repositories is pointless, they
will be mechanically abandoned. In the meantime, I see no reason to get
rid of them. In addition, Marc already started working on it, that would
be very unelegant to simply wipe this work.
- Regardless to discussion at Hackathon, please publish the report of
Survey 2015 as soon as possible (I don't know whether it was
discussed or not, but it will be decided by surveyer anyway).

- If translation was not finished, French does not matter.
- Please don't stick to grave way. The fastest way is posting it
to mailing lists.

It should be published earlier. Recent several months of delay is
inexcusable in comparison with l'intérêt public, isn't it?
Indeed. Listen, I'll try to translate it mysqlkef (which I had
originally planned but, well, let's not speak ill of current support).
Please publish. When can you publish it?
What about next week?
Thanks.
Good!

I'm looking forward to reading your comment on the rest of the hackathon report.

Best regards,

David

Regards,
-- Soji

Cheers!

David

Regards,
-- Soji

Cheers!
David
Regards,
-- Soji

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 17:09:46 +0200
At long last, here is the hackathon report. Enjoy!
--
"Mieux vaut viser la perfection et la rater que viser la médiocrité et
l'atteindre."