devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 18:51:49 +0900

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 17:34:28 +0100
David Verdin <address@concealed> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> With the upcoming install of Sympa 6.2 on our production server (next
> week), the subsequent beta phase and the load of mails we received from
> contributors / users / funders, I feel it is time to start putting
> together our thoughts about Sympa for the next couple of years.
>

> Development plans
>

> Here are our plans of development. These are RENATER project, but you
> may have your own that can certainly find their place in the roadmap:
>

> Features
>
> * Sympa in SaaS mode. We want to allow full virtual hosting of a Sympa
> service. That means a lot of evolutions for scalability concerns and
> new robot deployment. It will also require to make the largest part
> of Sympa functionnalities accessible through the web and / or web
> services (REST, SOAP). This is our next big step for Sympa 6.3.

Though I can't clearly grasp what "SaaS" means..., anyway, I believe
Sympa should be more modular.

For example, Mailman style "message pipeline" into which arbitrary
handlers to process or modify messages can be easily added.

About terminology: I love "robot" or "bot", but as Guillaume pointed
out, the word tend to refer to the active agents such as Web spiders.
# As Sympa "robot" is passive agent having (in general) multiple
# virtual hosts for e-mail, Web and so on, it is not virtual host
# itself.
Anything more better might be.

> * RFC 6729 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6729> implementation. This
> RFC allows to add "Received by" headers with richer information,
> such as "kept for moderation". This will greatly improve tracability
> of message in mailing lists.

Sounds good.

> * RFC 5983 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5983> implementation. This
> RFC deals with i18n addresses and mailing lists. I think Sympa
> should implement it. I wonder whether Soji would have any advice
> about this implementation, which look tricky...

Very interesting! I'll investigate RFC 6783 (successor of 5983) and
relating RFCs.

> * Potentially: changing our configuration file formalism to switch to
> something more common, such as YAML <http://www.yaml.org>. We could
> unify our configuration files and base them on CPAN modules instead
> of our current home made parsers.

I agree a Babel on Sympa config formats should be solved.
I prefer to human-readable and human-writable format such as YAML.

BTW I'm wondering structured file formats are really needed.
Even simple "key = value" format may be able to provide conditional
settings (such as use_XXX or XXX_feature in current Sympa config).

> This is what we really want to implement in the 6.3. Feel free to add
> the features you think should be added to this version. For example, we
> spoke about CSS 3 a while ago. It woul be great. Once we agree on
> development plans, we'll add a roadmap to the Sympa web site, with a
> section for Sympa 6.3 and another for releases after.

I'll reply to reminder of your mail in other days.

<<snip>>

Best regards,

--
株式会社 コンバージョン セキュリティ&OSSソリューション部 池田荘児