devel - [sympa-developpers] Pod formatting (was Re: Plans for Sympa)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] Pod formatting (was Re: Plans for Sympa)
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:52:59 +0100

Le 13/03/2013 12:22, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
And a comment to POD style by Guillaume: perlpodstyle manpage says
to use 'an "=item" for each interface'. Almost all CAPN modules
also do it. Sources in sympa-cleanup branch use "=head2".
I just commited some changes (commits #8945, #8946 and #8947) toward this direction.

Using the recommandations from this man page I didn't knew beforehand, I dropped usage of =head2 and =head3 tags for structuration, in favor of enumerations. To avoid too much imbrications, I didn't use any structuration for 'Parameters' and 'Return value' titles. And I used italics formatting (I<>) for better function block readability.

Additional style remarks:
- explicit enumeration bullets (ie, '=item * foobar' instead "=item foobar") actually harms readability, given lack of indentation in following line
- I confused C<> (terminal-style font) vs L<> (link to another man page) for classes names

Also, taking inspiration of LWP man page, I switched from a loose formulation of parameter type to explicit statement. Ie,:
=item I<message>: the message to format, as a L<Sympa::Message> instance

=item I<openssl>: the path to openssl binary

is now:
=item C<message> => L<Sympa::Message>

The message to format

=item C<openssl> => $path

The path to openssl binary.

Is this new style proposal OK for everyone ?
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information