devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Marc Chantreux <address@concealed>
  • To: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:55:10 +0100

On Thu, Mar 07, 2013 at 05:02:37PM +0100, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> - I'm still unable to figure out how Sympa::PlainDigest module
> works, as this kind of invocation is plain chinese for me:
> msg->{'plain_body'} = $mail->Sympa::PlainDigest::plain_body_as_string();

this is a namespace shortcutting: you can read it as

msg->{'plain_body'} =
Sympa::PlainDigest::plain_body_as_string $mail;

do you want me to investigate this part of the code ?

> - Sympa::Configuration and Sympa::Log are still used directly by
> most modules, making quite difficult to use and test them separatly

any way to have a weekly phone meeting for french people to dispatch
work: i really have time to hack now but now clue on how to start to
help you.

the only decision i made is: the branch i would like to comit on is the
Guillaume's one (as it is the closest base of "what sympa would looks to
me").

> So my answer to Marc's proposal would be:
> 1) do not waste too much time right now discuting global
> architecture, I don't have enough understanding myself

widsom! this would be my choice but David said about 6.3 and big plans
so i dreamt on the future sympa. a collection of simple tools working
fine seperatly and looking like a philarmonic putted all together :)

> 2) finish to write current consensus (I'm volonteer for it)

can you have a QA role ?

* create a git repo
* fill issues
* handle pull requests

so i can work on tickets ?

> About my own personal coding style preferences, most of them are
> summarized in the Perl Best Practices book, from Damian Conway
> (http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596001735.do)

which is a *MUST read* (tips on naming variables and maintaining regexps
for exemple are awesome) but keep in mind that some parts of the book
are really outdated now (especially the OO parts) and some points of
view feed the troll for many years now. This is a cookbook from a very
gifted and experienced perl hacker.

--
Marc Chantreux
Université de Strasbourg, Direction Informatique