devel - [sympa-developpers] robot concerpt definition (was Re: Plans for Sympa)

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-developpers] robot concerpt definition (was Re: Plans for Sympa)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:50:55 +0100

Le 13/03/2013 17:09, IKEDA Soji a écrit :
This is a matter I wished to discuss.

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:07:22 +0100
Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed> wrote:

Le 08/03/2013 12:21, David Verdin a écrit :
About terminology: I love "robot" or "bot", but as Guillaume pointed
out, the word tend to refer to the active agents such as Web spiders.
# As Sympa "robot" is passive agent having (in general) multiple
# virtual hosts for e-mail, Web and so on, it is not virtual host
# itself.
Anything more better might be.
What about "service"? The Sympa software is the engine allowing to
operate several list services.
It's a bit too much generic IMHO.

A quick look at current code quickly show than 'domain' is already
heavily used a synonym:
- the attribute in a Sympa::List object used to set robot value
everywhere it is needed is called 'domain':
Sympa::Log::db_stat_log({'robot' => $self->{'domain'}...

The "domain" of robot is essentially an identifier to determine the
path of robot.conf, SYSCONFDIR/<domain>/robot.conf.

robot.conf (and sympa.conf for defaults) can contain some other
domain names: "host" parameter for e-mail domain (by default it is
"domain"), "wwsympa_url" for Web interface URL, "soap_url" for SOAP
interface URL.

Each List shares "domain" parameter with its Robot. However, List
can have particular "host" parameter (by default it is Robot's
"host").

Briefly speaking, "domain" parameter is just an identifier of Robot.
OK, I was confused then.

If I understand your explanations correctly, a robot is just a way to override specific part of default sympa server configuration, for a given set of lists, right ? In this regard, this is quite similar to a virtual host for a web server: different document root, access policy, log files, etc... So why not call them virtual host, or virtual servers, in this case ?

The we'd have the following hierarchy of concept:
- a single sympa server/host/instance manages one to many virtual
servers/hosts/instances
- a virtual server manages one to many lists
- lists may be grouped into families

Does it make sense ?
--
Guillaume Rousse
INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information