devel - Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa

Subject: Developers of Sympa

  • From: IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-developpers] Plans for Sympa
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 01:09:58 +0900

This is a matter I wished to discuss.

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:07:22 +0100
Guillaume Rousse <address@concealed> wrote:

> Le 08/03/2013 12:21, David Verdin a écrit :
> >> About terminology: I love "robot" or "bot", but as Guillaume pointed
> >> out, the word tend to refer to the active agents such as Web spiders.
> >> # As Sympa "robot" is passive agent having (in general) multiple
> >> # virtual hosts for e-mail, Web and so on, it is not virtual host
> >> # itself.
> >> Anything more better might be.
> > What about "service"? The Sympa software is the engine allowing to
> > operate several list services.
> It's a bit too much generic IMHO.
>
> A quick look at current code quickly show than 'domain' is already
> heavily used a synonym:
> - the attribute in a Sympa::List object used to set robot value
> everywhere it is needed is called 'domain':
> Sympa::Log::db_stat_log({'robot' => $self->{'domain'}...

The "domain" of robot is essentially an identifier to determine the
path of robot.conf, SYSCONFDIR/<domain>/robot.conf.

robot.conf (and sympa.conf for defaults) can contain some other
domain names: "host" parameter for e-mail domain (by default it is
"domain"), "wwsympa_url" for Web interface URL, "soap_url" for SOAP
interface URL.

Each List shares "domain" parameter with its Robot. However, List
can have particular "host" parameter (by default it is Robot's
"host").

Briefly speaking, "domain" parameter is just an identifier of Robot.

> - the value for robot variable in Sympa::Message constructor is taken
> from the right side of the recipient address:
> ## get listname & robot
> my ($listname, $robot) = split(/\@/,$self->{'rcpt'});
>
> - its default value is taken from 'domain' configuration directive:
> $robot ||= $Sympa::Configuration::Conf{'domain'};
>
> etc...
>
> So why not just drop 'robot' in favor of 'domain' everywhere ?

$self->{'rcpt'} was taken from right side of alias entry:
"| queue address@concealed"
where "domain.name" is the "domain" of Robot. It is not always
same as List's e-mail domain, "host".

Additional note: Current codes sometimes confuse between "domain"
and "host" (for example, compare invokations of alias_manager in
List.pm, admin.pm and sympa.pl). Such a coding would be a bug.

> --
> Guillaume Rousse
> INRIA, Direction des systèmes d'information
> Domaine de Voluceau
> Rocquencourt - BP 105
> 78153 Le Chesnay
> Tel: 01 39 63 58 31