en - Re: [sympa-users] Same Message-Id for all mail receivers

  • From: Michael Young <address@concealed>
  • To: Christof Thalhofer <address@concealed>, IKEDA Soji <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Same Message-Id for all mail receivers
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 12:48:33 +0000

This sounds like an email feedback loop from a certain provider who provides
the feedback but anonymizes the information to protect the identity of the
individual.

At first glance, it seems kind of useless but the intent of the feedback loop
isn't necessarily so that you can unsubscribe the individuals, but more to
provide general feedback on the overall content of the messages originating
from your email servers.

I've been down that same road, and it's nearly impossible to identify them
(not just from Sympa) and their low numbers shouldn't affect your email. I
only use the feedback from these types of providers to identity real abuse.

Michael Young
Software Engineer IV
Information and Technology Services
Finance & Administration
Rochester Institute of Technology
o: (585) 475-6031 | address@concealed

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is
intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
destroy any copies of this information.

On 1/21/22, 3:34 AM, "Christof Thalhofer"
<address@concealed on behalf of address@concealed>
wrote:

Hi IKEDA,

Am 21.01.22 um 03:25 schrieb IKEDA Soji:

>> Is it possible to configure Sympa so that it generates a different
>> message-id for every single mail it sends?
>
> If you mean that, when a list has multiple subscribers, message ID
> will be different for each subscriber, it is not possible.
>
> When a message is sent to multiple recipients, the message ID
> in that message must always be the same so that the message will be
> identified.
>
> If you want to identify delivery to a particular recipient, you have
> to look for the log entry which records delivery to that recipient.

That's the problem. If I get an abuse message from a provider, who's
client tagged a message as spam I would like to identify the
subscriber's email-address to delete it from the subscriber list.

The provider sends me the message-id and the timestamp of the message
that caused the complaint but when I search the message-id in the
logfile I see that the combination of Sympa and Postfix delivers so fast
about 30 mails have been sent at this timestamp.

So I am not able to extract the single recipient from the logfile.

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur