en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa web hosting

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa web hosting
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 16:54:32 +0100

Hi Miles,

On 07/03/2019 16:39, Miles Fidelman wrote:
On 3/7/19 10:12 AM, David Verdin wrote:

On 07/03/2019 16:08, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:
Hello Tom,
I would like to see a non-profit organization for Sympa and related projects as well.

I have no idea how one does create such organization.

If anyone has any experience creating and/or running such a thing, I'm too interested in reading it.

Regards,

David

Perhaps a silly question, but why bother?  Renater has been a good parent & host for Sympa - and continues to provide support. It would seem beneficial to continue as things are.

Unless Renater is talking about removing support.

Might I note that the Apache daemon - perhaps the post child for Open Source - began life and NCSA, and remained there until after Rob McCool left, and support stalled.  If there's no precipitating event for Sympa - why are we talking about this?

Miles Fidelman (very happy Sympa user)

And you're right. Despite some reservations I expressed, I think that Sympa is in a very good shape right now. Better than two years ago.

Well, it's about the past. When I left for a year, I was not replaced inside RENATER and the project would have been in very bad shape, would there not have been a strong reaction from the community.

So there is some defiance about RENATER and people would like not to see again the situation Sympa was in two years ago.

I can't blame anyone about it. I was quite angry myself, back then.

On a more "present" note, most of the work on Sympa has been done by Soji and members from the community since two years, even though RENATER is back to participating to the project. So we must admit there is a new situation and it would feel natural that some kind of formal organization reflect this new situation.

But I don't feel any rush to do it. I still have a hard time being back to contributing to the code. ;-)

Cheers,

David

--
"Mieux vaut viser la perfection et la rater que viser la médiocrité et
l'atteindre."