en - Re: [sympa-users] Sympa web hosting

  • From: Miles Fidelman <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Sympa web hosting
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:16:26 -0500

On 3/7/19 11:30 AM, Stefan Hornburg (Racke) wrote:
On 3/7/19 5:12 PM, Peter Schober wrote:
* David Verdin <address@concealed> [2019-03-07 16:13]:
I have no idea how one does create such organization.

If anyone has any experience creating and/or running such a thing, I'm too
interested in reading it.
Before doing anything here please talk (or have someone from RENATER
talk) to Nicole from GEANT about the "Greenhouse" activity (full name
and address given on the website below):
https://www.geant.org/People/Community_Programme/Special_Interest_Groups/Pages/SIG-Greenhouse.aspx
See also https://wiki.geant.org/display/GREEN/SIG+Greenhouse
(though much there seems to be out of date)

Sympa is already recognised as a project that's important to the
communities it originated in (Research and Education Networks)
https://wiki.geant.org/display/GREEN/Open+Source+Software+in+NRENs
and many other projects have the same background/DNA and hence the
same issues and discussions.

I note that the question *why* Sympa needed its own servers wasn't
really answered so far (or why the Github wiki isn't sufficient).
(Now I can certainly imagine reasons why one would not want to depend
on Internet Monopolists' services but I don't assume these are
universally shared.)
We would certainly like to host our own mailinglists instead of with Renater,
where
we don't have administrative access. Also the login procedure is far away
from user
friendly.

That seems somewhat silly, and perhaps remediable - given that Sympa has different levels of admin access, and, presumably, one or more members of the Sympa community administers Renater's installation!

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra