en - RE: [sympa-users] Sympa troubles

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Christian HUTTER <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Sympa troubles
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 00:46:21 +0000

One of the nice things about Sympa is that you can do things in several different ways.  Unfortunately this is a double-edged sword.

The way we achieve what you’re doing is to set up aliases in the @auckland.ac.nz domain pointing to the lists in the @list.auckland.ac.nz domain, and our list server is list.auckland.ac.nz.  We also have many other virtual list domains, which necessitates us doing some other things differently.

If you only have the single domain, and don’t expect to add more domains (robots), AND the @domain.com mail domain is handled by the same server as @list.domain.com, then you could let Sympa handle the aliases.

To let Sympa handle it, you could set Sympa to have the list.domain.com default domain, then edit the aliases template to make it generate both @domain.com AND @list.domain.com aliases both pointing at “|/usr/lib/sympa/bin/queue address@concealed”

It really comes down to how you want to manage your mail.  We can’t let Sympa manage our @auckland.ac.nz aliases so they’re handled elsewhere, and we use Postfix regexp aliases to map address@concealed to address@concealed which is then aliased to “|queue address@concealed” by the Sympa-generated aliases.  We also manually add the address@concealed aliases and tell postfix the many domain names handled by this host.

If you want the list to masquerade as address@concealed then you can still do this using the various list configuration parameters; again, we’ve done this for lists in one of our subdomains where it was required.

I would probably recommend that you have Sympa defined to use @list.domain.com for its default domain to hold the lists, then add aliases for @domain.com either manually as we do, or by editing the list_aliases.tt2 template to create them at the same time it generates the @list.domain.com aliases.

Steve

Steve Shipway

address@concealed