en - RE: [sympa-users] Sympa troubles

  • From: Steve Shipway <address@concealed>
  • To: Christian HUTTER <address@concealed>
  • Cc: "address@concealed" <address@concealed>
  • Subject: RE: [sympa-users] Sympa troubles
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 20:53:26 +0000

So, it sounds as if you’re having problems with moderation.  This happened with us once as well, and the issue was file ownerships and permissions.

The moderation queue is in /var/spool/sympa/moderation and the distribution queue in /var/spool/sympa/distribute (at least on our system).  These have subdirs called ‘bad’ which might contain the missing messages if they have a bad format or if something else went wrong.

When you go into the web interface and approve something in the moderation queue, does it disappear from the queue, or stay there?  Are there errors in the sympa log?  How about if you approve a moderation via the email interface rather than web interface?  If the message does not disappear from the queue when using the web interface but distributes when using the email moderation, the problem lies with wwsympa.

The web interface approval works slightly differently form the email interface, and it renames the queue item so that it no longer appears in the queue web interface (adding a suffix), then submits a command to approve it via the same way as email approvals.  You may find that the messages are still in the moderation dir but with an added suffix; this indicates the problem is with the sympa.pl command handling.

If your spool directories do not have the correct permissions and ownerships then this can break; also check that the permissions on the wrapper scripts like wwsympa-wrapper.fcgi have setuid/setgid.  All these should be owned by sysmpa/sympa.

Both methods rely on email going to the sympa account being picked up and processed for commands.  If the command message ends up in /var/spool/mail/sympa then this is wrong, and your aliases are set up incorrectly.    You need to have something like this in your aliases:

sympa:          |"/usr/libexec/sympa/queue address@concealed"

and also, if you have multiple virtual robots and are using list@domain->domain-list alias mappings to handle them, you may need something like this as well:

list.auckland.ac.nz-sympa:       |"/usr/libexec/sympa/queue address@concealed"

If you have this problem, then not only moderation, but also self-subscription and unsubscription via email and  email confirmations will fail to work.

HTH

Steve

Steve Shipway

address@concealed