en - [sympa-users] Internal server error "Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes"

  • From: Remo Del Bello <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: [sympa-users] Internal server error "Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes"
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 10:54:25 -0700

We've been running great on our Sympa installation for a couple of month until just a week ago when I started getting notices of "Bulk mailer error". The message seems to have made it into the archive, but was not delivered to the list members. Here is the log entry:

May 26 08:21:41 lists sympa[1639]: notice main::DoFile() Processing /address@concealed ; sender: John Doe <address@concealed>  ; message-id: <address@concealed>
May 26 08:21:41 lists sympa[1639]: info main::DoMessage() Processing message for list_name with priority 5, <address@concealed>
May 26 08:21:43 lists sympa[1639]: err Bulk::store() Unable to add message in bulkspool_table "INSERT INTO bulkspool_table (messagekey_bulkspool, messageid_bulkspool, message_bulkspool, lock_bulkspool, dkim_d_bulkspool, dkim_i_bulkspool, dkim_selector_bulkspool, dkim_privatekey_bulkspool, dkim_header_list_bulkspool) VALUES ('b2295a6166fca64311ac0f97ae2c6c3e', '<address@concealed>', 'UmV0dXJuLVBhdGg6IDxicmVudC5sdWR0a2VAZGVzaWdub3J5LmNvbT4KUmVjZWl2ZWQ6IGZyb20g\ncHNtdHAuY29tIChleHByb2Q', 1, NULL ,NULL ,NULL, '', NULL)"; error : Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
May 26 08:21:43 lists sympa[1639]: err mail::sending() Failed to store message for list list_name
May 26 08:21:44 lists sympa[1639]: err List::send_msg() List::send_msg, could not send message to distribute from address@concealed (verp desabled)
May 26 08:21:44 lists sympa[1639]: err main::DoMessage() sympa::DoMessage(): Unable to send message to list list_name
May 26 08:21:45 lists sympa[1639]: err Bulk::store() Unable to add message in bulkspool_table "INSERT INTO bulkspool_table (messagekey_bulkspool, messageid_bulkspool, message_bulkspool, lock_bulkspool, dkim_d_bulkspool, dkim_i_bulkspool, dkim_selector_bulkspool, dkim_privatekey_bulkspool, dkim_header_list_bulkspool) VALUES ('2e3b20e291859be34d57cd3bc42bb454', '<address@concealed>', 'TUlNRS1WZXJzaW9uOiAxLjAKQXV0by1TdWJtaXR0ZWQ6IGF1dG8tcmVwbGllZApGcm9tOiBTWU1Q\nQSA8c3ltcGFAbGlzdHMuZGV', 1, NULL ,NULL ,NULL, '', NULL)"; error : Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
May 26 08:21:45 lists sympa[1639]: err mail::sending() Failed to store message for list list_name
May 26 08:21:46 lists sympa[1639]: err List::send_file() List::send_file, could not send template /home/sympa/default/mail_tt2/message_report.tt2 to address@concealed
May 26 08:21:46 lists sympa[1639]: notice report::reject_report_msg() report::reject_report_msg(): Unable to send template 'message_report' to 'address@concealed
May 26 08:21:46 lists sympa[1639]: notice Moving bad file address@concealed to bad/

Of interest is the error "Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes" which indicates to me that the MySQL max_allowed_packet variable needs to be increased. I changed this in my.cnf for [mysqld] section. I understand I need to change it for MySQL clients too but don't know where to change it for Sympa.

Secondly, the last line indicates the message was moved to some directory named "bad". Is there some way, once the max_allowed_packet issue is resolved, to take that message file and have Sympa process it again for delivery?

Thank you for your help.

--

remo del bello

w.562.753.0783   designory.com

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone
other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering the message
to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
notify us by calling The Designory Help Desk at (562) 624-0333.