en - Re: [sympa-users] dkim in 6.1.1

  • From: micah anderson <address@concealed>
  • To: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>, address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] dkim in 6.1.1
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 17:14:54 -0500

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:40:43 -0800, Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
wrote:
> >> certainly for testing purposes, but mostly because we saw (as expected) a
> >> vastly increased CPU load from the unlimited DKIM signing. So we're
> >> not
> >
> > this is weird to me because we are basically doing unlimited dkim
> > signing on all of our outbound mail that originates from our listserver,
> > and we have quite a large number of messages going out constantly, and
> > the dkim-filter process is hardly using any CPU at all (and yes, it is
> > actually signing).
>
> Ah -- this may be because we're also VERPing all outbound messages (in
> Postfix, not Sympa), which means a separate message for every recipient, no
> batch sending. So we end up doing maybe 10x the work or more on large
> lists with lots of recipients at eg. Yahoo or GMail, but it's worth it for
> various benefits, especially scrubbing addresses that come back from spam
> reporter feedback loops at AOL and other ISPs. I'm guessing you're not
> doing the VERP?

Hmm, I wonder if maybe we aren't doing VERP very well. The way you have
it set up sounds a little different than what we have done.

We've got verp_rate set to 10% in sympa.conf, and a generic bounce
alias:

bounce+*: "| /home/sympa/bin/bouncequeue sympa@$MYDOMAIN"

but it sounds like you maybe are doing verp in postfix somehow? Can you
describe how you are doing that? It does sound like a lot of resource
overhead, but we are having a lot of issues with AOL reports.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:43:43 +0100, "Rolf E. Sonneveld"
<address@concealed> wrote:

> one more pointer: development of dkim-milter is more or less dead. You
> might want to use openDKIM (http://www.opendkim.org/) which is a fork
> of dkim-milter and which is actively being developed. Performance of
> opendkim is great.

We are using dkim-filter, not dkim-milter (I misspoke earlier), this
seems to be the one that comes from Sendmail, its a bit
confusing. Looking at their project site, it doesn't look like they've
done a release now for a while, so maybe I should also switch to
openDKIM.

micah