en - Re: [sympa-users] dkim in 6.1.1

  • From: Adam Bernstein <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] dkim in 6.1.1
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:40:43 -0800

certainly for testing purposes, but mostly because we saw (as expected) a
vastly increased CPU load from the unlimited DKIM signing. So we're
not

this is weird to me because we are basically doing unlimited dkim
signing on all of our outbound mail that originates from our listserver,
and we have quite a large number of messages going out constantly, and
the dkim-filter process is hardly using any CPU at all (and yes, it is
actually signing).

Ah -- this may be because we're also VERPing all outbound messages (in Postfix, not Sympa), which means a separate message for every recipient, no batch sending. So we end up doing maybe 10x the work or more on large lists with lots of recipients at eg. Yahoo or GMail, but it's worth it for various benefits, especially scrubbing addresses that come back from spam reporter feedback loops at AOL and other ISPs. I'm guessing you're not doing the VERP?

If you are, then we should look at that milter implementation for sure....

(And before anybody mentions it, yes, the Postfix VERP alters the Return-Path on the way out, which might seem to be related to the problem I'm having with DKIM complaining that the message has been altered. But that header is not part of the signing, and we even tested with VERP disabled, with no effect.)

adam