en - Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade strategy from Sympa 3.4.3 to Sympa 6.x

  • From: David Verdin <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade strategy from Sympa 3.4.3 to Sympa 6.x
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:23:31 +0200

Hi,

Le 08/06/2010 11:06, Jean-Baptiste Denis a écrit :
address@concealed">
On Tuesday 08 June 2010 10:28:55 David Verdin wrote:

If you are changing tour server, install an empty Sympa on the new
server, then create the new database using the script in
src/etc/script/create_db.Pg and import the data from the old database.
This will allow you to check if everything works well and give you a
chance to upgrade tthe database in a single step.

The plan is to start from a fresh installation. For now, i've dumped the
database, config and archives on a test machine so i can mess around.

When you say to "import the data from the old database", what do you mean
exactly ? Manually import old data from existing old tables using a hand made
script ? I'm a little confuse about that, maybe i didn't understand something,
see below. (As you can tell, i'm not a DBA, ehe).

Well, heres what you can try. It's a try. I'm not sure it will work but I think the chances are pretty good, as we mainly add new information rather than transform existing informations when issuing new versions.

Export you previous data as an SQL syntax. I think if you have a web gui for Pg management, you can do that easily.
Then you use the query produced in the new database. Check the fields name in the former database and the new one. They should match.
address@concealed">
The database is not the only trouble. You will have to run sympa.pl
--upgrade to change a lot of things, among them the files encoding.
The trouble is that there is an upgrade script for versions starting
from 4.2b.1. So you will still have to read the NEWS file to know what
to do to reach the state of a 4.2b.1.

So the plan is :
- fresh install of sympa

Yes
address@concealed">
- creation of the new database using create_db.Pg from a 6.x version (will be
6.0.3 i think)

Yes. that's the stable version and we jsut fixed the installation problem for PostgreSQL.
address@concealed">
- import old data the right way :)

Yes.
Don't forget the archives, the server config files and the list directories.
address@concealed">
- reach the state of 4.2b.1

Yes. That will be a manual work but if you take care, the rest of the operation should be painless.
address@concealed">
- running sympa.pl --upgrade to reach 6.x

Yes.
address@concealed">
If i understand correctly, the sympa.pl --upgrade steps will run without
complaining about wrong table format since i've created the database with a
6.x script ?

Indeed. however, it could complain about something else, but the database should not be a problem.
address@concealed">
Anyway, thank you again for your precise previous answer.

You're welcome. All the best for your migration!

Regards,

David
address@concealed">
Regards,

Jean-Baptiste

Regards,

David

Regards,

Jean-Baptiste Denis

--
David Verdin
Comité réseau des universités

Due to the limitations of human brain, I fail to remember all the mails.
So if you want your bug reports or feature requests for Sympa to be processed, please post them to the Sympa tracker