en - Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade strategy from Sympa 3.4.3 to Sympa 6.x

  • From: "Jean-Baptiste Denis" <address@concealed>
  • To: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade strategy from Sympa 3.4.3 to Sympa 6.x
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:06:54 +0200

On Tuesday 08 June 2010 10:28:55 David Verdin wrote:

> If you are changing tour server, install an empty Sympa on the new
> server, then create the new database using the script in
> src/etc/script/create_db.Pg and import the data from the old database.
> This will allow you to check if everything works well and give you a
> chance to upgrade tthe database in a single step.

The plan is to start from a fresh installation. For now, i've dumped the
database, config and archives on a test machine so i can mess around.

When you say to "import the data from the old database", what do you mean
exactly ? Manually import old data from existing old tables using a hand made
script ? I'm a little confuse about that, maybe i didn't understand
something,
see below. (As you can tell, i'm not a DBA, ehe).

> The database is not the only trouble. You will have to run sympa.pl
> --upgrade to change a lot of things, among them the files encoding.
> The trouble is that there is an upgrade script for versions starting
> from 4.2b.1. So you will still have to read the NEWS file to know what
> to do to reach the state of a 4.2b.1.

So the plan is :
- fresh install of sympa
- creation of the new database using create_db.Pg from a 6.x version (will be
6.0.3 i think)
- import old data the right way :)
- reach the state of 4.2b.1
- running sympa.pl --upgrade to reach 6.x

If i understand correctly, the sympa.pl --upgrade steps will run without
complaining about wrong table format since i've created the database with a
6.x script ?

Anyway, thank you again for your precise previous answer.

Regards,

Jean-Baptiste