en - Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade strategy from Sympa 3.4.3 to Sympa 6.x

  • From: Dan Pritts <address@concealed>
  • To: Jean-Baptiste Denis <address@concealed>
  • Cc: address@concealed
  • Subject: Re: [sympa-users] Upgrade strategy from Sympa 3.4.3 to Sympa 6.x
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 17:35:16 -0400

Hi,

I am in the middle of a similar upgrade (we made it to 3.4.4 :).

I was pretty concerned about the ability of the upgrade process to handle
such a large leap in versions - upgrades never work right :)

also, we had a lot fo old junky lists that needed to be closed.

So, i decided to make a brand new server, and migrate the lists i wanted
to keep individually.

i've got a process that works for this - i kludged the command-line list
creation by putting my old list config file in as a tt2 template, and then
i populate the list membership as appropriate. I then copy subscriber
options over from the old database.

I'm working right now on converting the old "crypt" passwords into the new
md5 hashed style; luckily sympa provides code in Upgrade.pm to handle this.
This is hopefully my last issue.

I will send you a copy of my script. I'd rather not post it to the
list, it is not complete, but anyone who wants it is welcome to ask.

I ran into a couple issues with our Enterprise DB software, which is a
postgres variant. One was entdb specific, the other was a since-fixed
issue where the sympa team had used some mysql-specific syntax and the
database was never cleaned out properly.

After tracking down those two (and another, unrelated db issue that was
a misconfiguration at our site) I got cold feet about the possibility of
further problems with enterprise db/postgres and just used mysql (which
is what we'd been using on our 3.4.4 server).

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:48:43AM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Denis wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> i'm quite new to Sympa mailing list software, and i need to update it from
> version 3.4.3 running on a Postgresql database to a 6.x version. I'm
> wondering
> about the best upgrade strategy to adopt.
>
> The NEWS file in the source directory is a quite nice since it seems to
> list
> the database updates to apply manually at each revision.
>
> My plan is to update Sympa 3.4.3 to each version which need a manual
> database
> update and to deal with problems from here.
>
> What do you think about it, do you have any advice ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jean-Baptiste Denis

danno
--